Problems installing Fabrik 3.0

AndyGB4

Hi,

I've used Fabrik in other websites (older versions of Joomla) and it's always worked great, I love it!

But when I try to install Fabrik for 2.5, I'm not able to install it.

I'm using Joomla! 2.5.4

The message I get is: "There was an error uploading this file to the server."

The Fabrik package I tried to install was the 3.0.5.2,

and after unzipping it, I tried to upload the inner zip files individually, and most of them installed, but I couldn't get com_fabrik_3.0.5.2.zip to install.

Anyone have any ideas on how to install all this?

So today I tried uploading it through GitHub from the directions on this page:
http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/update-from-github/

I managed to upload all the necessary files, but I still can't use Fabrik (doesn't show up in the Component menu or anywhere). I guess this makes sense because I never had Fabrik installed in the first place? I'm not sure, so confused..

No one has ever had this problem before?
With this message? "There was an error uploading this file to the server."

Thanks for the reply!
Hmm, that's what I thought after I uploaded the files.

And I've tried to install from directory already, but I imagine I've done it wrong, because I did it quickly before leaving from work.

Let me try again and make sure I did it correctly.

It seems I'm still not doing it correctly. I followed the instructions but I keep getting errors.

So I download the file and get pkg_fabrik_3.0.5.2.zip
I unzip it into a folder called let's say "fabrik".
I go on the server and put it in the inetpub folder.
and i try to install it by putting in "../fabrik"
but that doesn't work, it says Please enter a package directory.

And I've tried putting it in different places and stuff and it didn't work either.
One time I got a different error message, something about not finding an XML file.
Unfortunately I didn't get a change to print screen it or recreate it...

It's working on my site:
unzip
copy the content of the zip (= folder packages +pkg_fabrik.xml) to the folder displayed in the "Install from directory" (usually your-complete-Joomla-root/tmp).
Or copy your "fabrik" folder to your-complete-Joomla-root/tmp and change the "Install from Directory" to your-complete-Joomla-root/tmp/fabrik.
Then install.

Thanks for the detailed guidance.
So I followed what you said and it installed the package successfully.

When I click on Components > Fabrik, i get the "Fabrik - Welcome" page
but if I click on anything (lists, elements, groups, etc),
I get a "The connection was reset" page..

Any ideas?

** Should I uninstall Fabrik and retry? Since I did already have some fabrik files in my website because of when I updated with GitHub? Maybe that caused the installed files to malfunction.

I think you should address the original issue.

"There was an error uploading this file to the server."

This usually occurs if your servers PHP settings have a small upload size. This can also be a permission thing as well.

From your backend click Site --> System Information --> PHP Information

Search for upload_max_filesize ideally it needs to be at least 5mb otherwise it's too small to install Fabrik. Your host should be able to increase this for you, I would aim for 6mb but a couple more would be better.

Hi Felix! Well it seems like that IS the problem,

it only had 2mb so that definitely makes sense now.
I'll report back here once it's installed correctly to confirm in case it happens to anyone else.

Thanks guys!

So, after changing the upload_max_filesize to a larger amount, I got the files to upload correctly.

But now I'm getting the same problem as earlier. When I click on Components > Fabrik i go to the that "Fabrik - Welcome" page, but if I click on any other link (lists, elements, groups, etc), I get a "The connection was reset" page.

And I thought maybe it's because I left something hanging around from my last uninstall, so I tried uninstalling it all again to make sure it was clean, but when I did, I got a 500 error, and now I have a 500 error on BOTH my front-end and back-end! :(

I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with it now, but if I can't I'll have to restore the website from an older backup.

Do you have access to your database?

After the uninstall there should not be any table #_fabrik_xxx and no fabrik entry in #_extensions (best is to backup #_extensions before deleting anything manually).

500 errors can be quite mysterious at time, it could be permissions, (as mentioned earlier), if this is hosted server it could be something like mod_security.

First thing to check is to see ifyou have a .htaccess file, if so rename it to htaccess.old and see if that makes a difference.

The next thing I would do it to perform a full github update. This won't re-install Fabrik but if you server is erroring because it's looking for a Fabrik file this would be the quckest way to get it going.

If you have access to any server logs then see what they are telling you.

Finally could be permissions. My host rejects everything if the permissions are not correct. Are you FTP'ing any files?

Let us know if any of the above remove the 500 error and then we can go from there.

Ok guys, so performing a full github update did the trick to remove the 500 error!

Now I need to know, what should I do to make sure there is nothing Fabrik related lying around before I try to re-install it?

Well if you re-install Fabrik it would perform an upgrade to whatever ever Fabrik parameters are left lying around. All Fabrik backend tables start with Fabrik_ so it may be an idea to remove those before you re-install.

I would then recommend performing the install and then updating from Github and see how you go from there.

If you continue to have problems after this then we will have to identify the cause. It would be likely to be a server setting though or permissions.

Alright so, I looked in the database, there were no Fabrik tables.

Also, I went to Extension Manager > Manage, and searched for Fabrik, and I got 18 records show up with Fabrik in the name. This is normal though right? (Because I did the github update before?)

And when I click on the Components menu item, I DO NOT see Fabrik, (which also makes sense because it shouldn't be installed since I only did a github update)

Ok so I installed it and this is what I got as messages:

JFolder: :delete: Path is not a folder. Path: C:\inetpub\mostimondialeweb\components\com_fabrik\pdf

JFolder: :delete: Could not delete folder. Path: ..\tmp\install_502bf49b5de9e\packages

Installing package was successful.

And now Fabrik shows up in the Components menu. But just like it was previously, I can NOT click on anything like Lists, Groups, Elements, etc. So same problem.

I didnt apply the newest update yet, so I'll do that now, and I'll edit this post when it's completed.

Shouldn't make a difference, I was just curious but it should eliminate it being a permission problem to a point. The permission issue I refer to is usually with Apache.

So I assume this is running ona server \ laptop rather than it being hosted?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back