Joomla / Fabrik not taking on the db collation by default

Status
Not open for further replies.

ontarget

Hi
I have setup a Joomla 4 site which is using Fabrik 4 (not an upgrade from Joomla3).

The site is now in a live state with multiple submissions going into the Fabrik database tables.

I am having an issue with some users when they submit text they get an error "Incorrect String Value XXXX for column XXXXX at row 1"

The fabrik form is taking a mixture of
  • text fields
  • text area
  • file uploads (pdf, png, jpg)
  • radio fields
  • checkbox fields
The tables it seems are a mixture of collations:
  • Joomla Core tables utfmb3_general_ci
  • Fabrik tables some are latin1_swedish_ci and some are utf8mb4_unicode_ci
  • The columns are also a mixture of these 3 collations.
Database Info
  • Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
  • Server type: MySQL
  • Server connection: SSL is not being used
  • Server version: 8.0.32 - MySQL Community Server - GPL
  • Protocol version: 10
  • Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8mb4)
Should I update the entire database tables and columns to use the same collation? I assume utf8mb4_unicode_ci would be best?

Are there any "dangers" of making this change to my system? E.g can existing records in the system become corrupted or inaccessible in a different collation?

I will of course create backups!

I appreciate any advice.

I think Fabrik is doing nothing on its own (as long as you don't set anything in the list Advanced settings while creating a new list).

It's taking the collation of your database (which you set on database creation. or which is your server default).

Not sure why you have this mix, did you change something after or during the J! installation?
Did you copy or import some of the tables?
Check your database collation, table collations etc.

I would backup and then change the collations (no garantee but...)

Thanks Henk and Troester,
I also got a great answer form Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos at Akeeba / Admin Tools see below:
https://www.akeeba.com/support/pre-...ion-joomla-4-admin-tools-advice-required.html
-

I'm not sure why my db took on the different collations in the first place as it was a vanilla install.
I will certainly be checking this on future setups.
I went ahead and updated all the tables and columns to utf8mb4_unicode_ci and the system is working with no issues.

Here are the steps for anyone else with this issue:
  1. Go to phpMyAdmin > select db > Operations > Collation > select utf8mb4_unicode_ci > Check Change all tables collations and
    Change all tables columns collations > Click Go
  2. Open your Fabrik List > Details > Advanced Tab > Collation utf8mb4_unicode_ci

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back