Frustrated!

barraclm

This is what I want to do. Can Fabrik 3 do this?

I want to present the user with a Query By Example type form, eg
| Element 6:..[......] (or) [......] (or) [......].............|
| Element 9:..[......] (or) [......] (or) [......].............|
|____________________________________________|

Here is an example of how someone might complete the form
| Element 6:..[.yes..] (or) [......] (or) [......]...........|
| Element 9:..between [1966] and [2000]................|
|____________________________________________|

Equivalent to
((E3 = A) OR (E3 = G)) AND (E6 = "yes") AND (E9 >=1966) AND (E9 <=2000)

The user completes the form (or could leave it empty for all records) and is then presented with a list of Element1s that meet the criteria. Each of the records in the list is a link to a document that is created from these and other elements in the list together with other material (eg a pdf).

I am sure that Fabrik can do this but I find the documentation very confusing. Please could you point me in the right direction.

Michael Barraclough

Sorry I'm not at all sure what you are trying to do. Can you give a concrete example with the actual element names you would like to use.
Also perhaps a drawing rathe than trying to show the forms layout in text only

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jjcdas

I have managed to create a list and upload some contents. There are currently 3000+ records in the list and 51 elements/columns. Eventually there will 10,000+ records and additional lists.

I would like to construct a form (my terminology, not Fabrik's) that is shown to the end user when they select a particular menu item. This form would show the elements that can be used to filter the records.

So, assuming:

Element 1 = Dance Name
Element 2 = Dance Tune Key
Element 3 = Dance Tune Rhythm
Element 4 = Date dance was written
Element 5 = Dance Author

I would like the user to be able to specify that they would like to see the records where Element 2 = A or G, Element 3 = 3/4 and Element 4 is between 1966 and 2000.

Having filled in the form and hit a submit button the user would then be presented with a list (my term, not Fabrik's) showing Element 1 and Element 5 for each of the rows that meet the filter criteria specified in the form. The user can then click on a name and load a Joomla document that contains many of the elements in that record together with others, eg a pdf (where the name is one of the elements).

Is this scenario possible?

Michael Barraclough

Most of that is possible.

First step is to add filters to the elements you want the user to filter on. You'll find those under the List settings tab for each element.

Once you've set the filters for each element, when you load the List page, you'll have a form at the top of your list where the users specify their filters.

One part of your requirement we don't do is only showing the list columns which had a filter filled in for them. We always show all the columns for the elements you set "show in list" for in the element settings.

For the next part, of linking to a J! document which loads certain elements ... you'd need to add a custom link, either using the custom edit or view link in the table settings (which affect the standard view/edit button on each table row), or set a detail view link on one of your elements (which turns the text of that element into a clickable link).

Either way, you would use a placeholder to pass the rowid through to the article, so it'd look like this:

Code:
/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=X&Itemd=Y&rowid={rowid}

Replace X and Y with your J! article ID and Itemid.

Then in the content article, you can use the Fabrik content plugin to display individual elements, like ...

{fabrik view=element list=X rowid=[rowid] element=tablename___elementname}

Change X to the numeric ID of your List (number in left column in main Lists tab), and tablename___elementname to the full name of the element you want to show.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back