Falang and Fabrik for J3+ Multi Language

1. Tried to reinstall falang? 3 times cleaning the DB - falang doesn't.
2. Contacted falang support to see if they need to fix something to make it work in 3.1.4? No support for free version and no way to pay for something that is not working or at least documented like other free products with up sell strategies.
Other 2 options are KMfastrans pro and Josseta but no demo is available on both so i am not sure if they will provide fabrik translations.

Well they will need to fix it as many pay customers will post the issue i suppose.

Both of the alternatives are still only J2.5 I believe.

Assuming that it is an incompatibility, as soon as a paying user reports the problem they will fix it. But as usual, you get the support that you pay for - so if you use the free version, then no support, no documentation etc.

Not that I agree with this - if I was a paying customer and I learned that a free user had reported a bug and they had ignored it, I would be most annoyed. So IMO bug reports are something that they should accept from all users - though clearly they can decide what priority to place on fixing bugs reported by free users.

If I were you I would restore previous version of Joomla from backup and wait a few weeks before trying it again.

even if you pay 19buks there is still no support or even forum access. :( I still wonder why falang is not passing the translated stuff to frontpage. My be there is a reference needed to the component for the frontview because in the back no problems.

I've tested with joomfish (downgraded to j 2.5) still the same result. Everything is translated but frontend lists and forms are MONOlanguage - english only.Arrrrgo_O

Ok - so my suggestion is for you to:

1. Since you are back on J2.5, do lists and forms work with joomfish? If so, then it would seem to be a difference between joomfish and falang we need to fix.

2. Investigate whatever you can find out about the falang xml files and check that they are correct.

3. Look at any fabrik code used to interface with joomfish and see whether it needs tweaking for falang. In particular, look for joomfish code in fabrik which is working and then see whether there is similar code in lists an forms and if not does there need to be.

I know this will be difficult without any falang documentation, but you are still in a better position than the rest of us to try to make it work. I will try to help as much as I can if you want to give me details of what you find in the fabrik code.

P.S. You could ask for developer API information for falang - it is in their interests to have extensions like fabrik support falang.

P.P.S. One place to start is to look at administrator\components\com_fabrik\contentelements\translationFabrikgroupFilter.php which is the fabrik file provided to interface to joomfish. Does this need tweaking or is an additional file needed to work with falang?

Also in components\com_fabrik\models\list.php there is a method which is currently joomfish specific and almost certainly needs enhancing around line 962.

I think you will need to rename this to _translateJoomfish and create a similar _translateFalang and then provide a replacement translateData which calls first one and then the other.

I can help with this.

And in administrator\components\com_fabrik\models\list.php there is code which creates and deletes a joomfish xml file. So this will need work too.

I fear that there are also Fabrik settings for joomfish which have been removed from current versions - I can find translation strings which refer to Joomfish which are not used anywhere in fabrik admin.

We might have to wait for Rob to come back from holiday for an answer to this.

So lets first answer your questions
Yes lists and forms and whatever you need works with both components with the correct xml files. Everything is translatable.
Have been bashing my head around the fabrik and joomfish and falang files and couldn't find anything.

The translationFabrikgroupFilter.php is for filters only so it does not matter in this case but can crash joomla if the xml has filters and they are incorrect. so best remove it or no filters.

Now what is interesting between the JF and Falang is the following>

Joomfish has 4 tables to store information Falang only 2. Joomfish saves translations of menus in the main MENU table wich is curious and falang saves ALL translations in its own table @falang_content@.

The reference table in joomfish does not saves the fabrik references????? no idea why and trying to manually do that have no effect.

On the other hand Falang seems to save all fabrik references but as usual:)- nothing is printed out on front.

BOTH components do not execute SQL queries to extract data from fabrik tables - only menus or contents, so the problem is that no execution is done which leads me to thing that special controller is needed for fabrik (router or something ).

Any help from the dev team will be highly appreciated.
Best Regards!
Bobby

I am sorry, but you have now reached the limit of my own knowledge, and I don't think I can help any further.

Rob and Hugh can correct me if I have this wrong, but I do not think that providing falang support will be a priority for them as there are more important things (like releasing F3.1) to focus on - and especially for users like us who don't pay for support from them. To be honest, I suspect that even if you were a paying member, I suspect that they would treat this as bespoke development and charge you additional money to develop it. That said, I think that in the long term, multi-lingual support would be a very valuable feature - its just not going to be a priority right now.

So I fear that you are on your own with this. And I really think you should ignore what Fabrik has or may have had in the past for joomfish integration and look at this as a completely new Falang integration. However, if you look in the codebase for "joomfish" it may give you some hints about the types of code that might be needed and the types of settings you might need to add to control falang.

Good luck in making this work - and I am happy to keeping helping you if I can, though as I said you have reached the limit of my current knowledge.

Yes you are totally correct to assume this. But I thing that providing multilanguage support isn't too complicated , some very small part is missing and the rest is all ready done. I mean EVERY single part of fabrik can be translated with both components(just simple XML statment) just frontpage printing is missing.

I left a message on the faboba contact page and received this email back: