Advice on many to many relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildit

My situation is like that of a many to many relationship with authors to books. There can be many authors for one book and an author can write many books.

I understand how to make the relationship in fabrik and it works great; however in my case I would like registered users to create all the data. So a user would login and would type in the name of the book on a form and then would type in the authors. This obviously does not work because the database join is a drop down and seeing there are no authors in the database it does not work.

One way I found around this is by adding the add button to the database join element where it popups a form to add an author and this is fine; however when I click save on the popup form the form does not go away and seems like nothing happens, even though it does save the record to the database. A user though may become confused by this. Another issue with the popup form is once it is saved the option is not in the database join element drop down, until I refresh the page. It would be ideal to populate the database join drop down with the saved record.

So any advice on how I can make this easier for a user would be great. The main thing I need done is for a user to enter in a book and then add authors to the book. I expect to have about 800 books and 2000 authors.

Thanks in advance

Which exact fabrik version are you running?

Frontend add is working fine on my site, maybe you have to update from GitHub.

I have been using google chrome and the add button was not updating, so I switched to firefox and it seems to work fine. What is the best browser to use with fabrik?

Also, if there is another way to accomplish what I am doing with entering in authors and books into the database let me know. This seems like the best approach, but if someone has done something different it would be great to know what they tried, just because there will be so many records.

Though Fabrik tries to be compatible with all major browsers like, IE, Chrome & FF. I personally find that it is best compatible with FF

What version of IE, and is this a recent github? I fixed some issues with the join element add popup recently, which were (mostly) affecting IE9 and (I think) IE8.

-- hugh

I am on a mac so I do not use ie. I was using chrome with the latest git hub, and when I hit the save on the popup form it does not say "Record added/updated" like it does in firefox and it does not populate the database join element like it does in firefox.

Another issue I just saw was when I hit the add button for a repeatable group instead on of just adding one repeatable group it adds two. This happens in Firefox as well as Chrome. May just be a mac thing.

I can't replicate any of your issues on my site:
frontend add is working in Chrome (Windows) and no double group added.

Do you have a link to your site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back