whats the best solution?

Hi

I am starting a project which will be an online scrapbook for my motocross.

see http://mxreviewcouk.pre-dns-change.com for rough concept of how the content will drill down.

Rather than each article or report being done within the foomla content pane i would like to split it up into 3 speratae chunks of information....so on each page there is a story, some variables ie date, venue etc, and then a download section for images etc.

is fabrik the best solution to do this?

i am not sure how i would be able to do this in joomla without having to hand code each area and then when i want to change it it would be a nightmare as all 3 bits of information would be within the same artcile pane

Many thanks

Yes, this would be very do-able in Fabrik. Might require a tiny bit of template customizing to get it to look pretty, but the basic structure is exactly what Fabrik is designed to do.

The only issue is, it looks like you are using J! 1.5? Our current stable product (1.0.5.x) only runs on J! 1.0.x. Our J! 1.5 product (2.0b2) is still in Beta test. It is almost stable enough to build a relatively simple app like this with, but we can't promise it'll work without some bug fixing and a few road bumps along the way.

So if you need this working "right now", it may be problematic. But if you are prepared to spend a few weeks working with us to iron out any kinks, you should be OK.

Bottom line, Fabrik 2.0b2 is still very much in Beta, and we don't recommend it for use on live sites just yet. But we are getting close to having something which should be solid enough for simpler apps, and we need all the Beta testing help we can get right now!

-- hugh

ok great - i have downloaded v2 to run on joomla 1.5 and subscribed. I guess i need to start playing now.

Just one thing...do I set up section...categories...articles as per normal as if so this is something i can do before i start?

thanks

just out of interest - why would you advise me to use fabrik as opposed to just setting up 600 articles with mass content in joomla and styling each one with css?

in what ways will fabrik make my life easier - i so badly want to learn it but doing it within content in joomla is something i know well.

thanks

Basically Fabrik lets you structure your data, using the power of MySQL to present in in tables, search it, sort it, etc.

So, for instance, rather than being 600 separate content pages that you have to build links to, you can structure the index as a table, which you can filter / search by (say) venue, rider or date.

-- hugh

some more questions...

I managed to download the manual but since my knowledge is very limited I was wondering whether you someone could answer my questions. A simple yes or no will be sufficient if its easier! This, as stated earlier, is a massive personal project for me and its so important that I decided whether favrik is the correct route to go down...at the moment I am 95% sure it is!

Right here goes:

1. Can results show the name of the element?
(ie LOCATION: Shrewsbury)
2. Can a result show an image?
(ie if I click on a HONDA checkbox then a pre-assigned HONDA logo comes up in the results)
3. Can sections of the table be show in different places on the page
(ie story in middle div, name and date in left div and additional info/downloads in right div)
4. I am the only one who will input data to build the site - is this always done at the front end?
5. Of my three groups (story, additional info, downloads)...the downloads section is very inconsistent...sometimes I will have 30 pdfs, 20 jpegs...other times nothign at all - can you see a problem in this?
6. Can the 'tables' produced be 'tableless' in regards to the coding?...can I have control over how the page looks 100% with css? This is really important to me - can anyone let me know?
7. Can I implement a search where viewers can search on elements...ie search by date, number of 1st places, bike etc?
8. Although I am using the same 3 groups across all meetings within all years...I am guessing I will need to reproduce a copy of the table for every year because the LINK TO MENU will be different?

Please see attachment which is a rough idea of my ideal layout.

Any help whatsoever will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Gavin

Attachments

• rough-concept.jpg
    rough-concept.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 245
Heya Gavin!

I don't have all the answers to your questions as I've been pretty focused in my testing of Fab 2 for a specific project, but I'll give a shot to what I can answer... I'm sure Hugh will blow though with better answers, but maybe this'll save him some typing ;).

I will say that Fab 2 has a fantastically extensible setup and it's looking very likely that anything you run up against a wall on can be worked around by Rob/Hugh. There's nothing like it out there, it's like a RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool for Joomla. The flexibility of the tool is amazing, and it's only going to get better and better with the new plugin system that Rob has implemented.

If you're willing to work with this for a bit and go back and forth on the subscriber support forum threads you can probably get it to do *almost* anything you need.

1. Can results show the name of the element?
(ie LOCATION: Shrewsbury)
1. Yes. In fact if you enable the right settings you can use the wysiwyg to specify an html snippet to display as the element lable, so it could be something like:

2. Can a result show an image?
(ie if I click on a HONDA checkbox then a pre-assigned HONDA logo comes up in the results)
2. Yes. You can even have the image (or a thumb? I think hugh updated the thumbs system for Fab 2) show up in both form and table view. I'm pretty sure that could be tied in with the checkbox element, via scripting if nothing else.

3. Can sections of the table be show in different places on the page
(ie story in middle div, name and date in left div and additional info/downloads in right div)
3. This would probably need some custom template work, but the nice thing is that the templates are pretty stright forward and it's easy to specify individual templates for individual forms/views.

4. I am the only one who will input data to build the site - is this always done at the front end?
4. No, you can enter data though the backend either via CSV import or by going to Forrms, clicking the "View Data" then picking "add listing".

5. Of my three groups (story, additional info, downloads)...the downloads section is very inconsistent...sometimes I will have 30 pdfs, 20 jpegs...other times nothign at all - can you see a problem in this?
Unless I'm reading that wrong, I can't see why it would be a problem?

6. Can the 'tables' produced be 'tableless' in regards to the coding?...can I have control over how the page looks 100% with css? This is really important to me - can anyone let me know?
Good question. From what I understand that's doable, and IIRC the templates are actually all done in divs rather than tables. You can specify CSS individually for each group, and as mentioned above you can customize templates on an individual basis. Now in the default layout, the elements will all be in a single column, but I'm sure you can work around that if you're willing to put in enough work. It's also quite likely that there are improvements on the list for post stable release Fab 2 that would make flexible layout placement a lot easier.

7. Can I implement a search where viewers can search on elements...ie search by date, number of 1st places, bike etc?
I think so?

8. Although I am using the same 3 groups across all meetings within all years...I am guessing I will need to reproduce a copy of the table for every year because the LINK TO MENU will be different?
Not absolutely sure about this one, but I'm *guessing* that you could have just one table and use different forms that share/are based on that table?

Again, I'm just a happy customer with big goals but a less than sufficient grasp of php/MySQL to make them happen directly ;), so I'd wait to hear from Hugh/Rob, but that's my top-of-head responses.

James and Susan

brilliant....so basically it can do just about anything.

the 2 main issues for me is producing decent html via css and splitting the page up into sections...thats key as that is the something unachievable on such a large scale with joomla core content

cheers

Just a possibility, something that might be worth looking into is Fab 2's packages? We haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet either, other then theorizing, as getting the new version of our site out is taking up pretty much all the time available. My understanding though is that Packages will give you a way to link together multiple forms/tables into a single page using a tabset (or maybe modules?) to show different sets of information?

I think Rob's really the only one that can comment about Packages, but it might possibly be something that would be of interest to you...

James and Susan

Hugh/Rob

Any chance you could shed some light on a few of my problems - most have been asnwered already so am real pleased with that

thanks

What info do you still need?

For 8, I'd suggest just adding a hidden date element to your main group. Have it default to just the current year by setting the default value to ...

return date('Y');

... and setting formats to just Y.

Then on your year links, add a URL filter to the link by appending ...

&your_table___year[value]=2007

... to the link. Obviously substitute the actual table and element name for your_table___year.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.
Back