Upgrading from Joomla 1.5 to 1.7, and Fabrik 2 to Fabrik 3

@aldan: I didn't read your post before posting

delete, css import/export access: yes, I can confirm this (no allow_delete, csv_import_frontend, csv_export_frontend in upgrade.php fabrik_tables)
because the menus were created by jupgrade BEFORE the installation of Fabrik, the menu items referring to lists/forms are missing, under options, template (says "none-used") and no elements to show. I guess it's a new behavior to add elements manually in stead of using the enabled elements in the backend??
bottom line, Menus might need to be recreated
This is working on my site without problem;
Which jUpgrade version did you use? I first tried the official download (2.5.0, 25. Feb) which did a lot strange things, but the recent GitHub version did a lot better (although you mustn't change the new database prefix j17_)

the latest... freshly squeezed off of the downloads section of jupgrade. No github. (Yes, found out about the j17 prefix change the hard way...:))

Anyway, in SOME menus i had to go in and re-select the lists/forms... In ONE I had to add elements... couldn't figure out why, but i have a couple more updates to do in the near future :)

Hi felixkat,
I've done a migration yesterday, using your very helpful steps in post#27.
I've started a wiki based on your post as long as the impressions are present.
http://fabrikar.com/wiki/index.php/3.x_Migrating_from_Joomla1.5.20+/Fabrik2.1

jUpgrade has some issues but fabrik upgrade is running very well (including joined tables, repeated groups, multiple content plugins).
But I'm still testing.

One issue I found is migrating visualisations, params aren't converted to json.

Thanks for this Troester, I'll started editing it and modifying where necessary.

I'll look into the visualisations params as well.

the main problem I see with your tutorial, troester, is that it will probably take days (at least...) before one figures everything up and has a working site once again.
Which I guess is the point of jupgrade creating a new site oppose to upgrading the existing one. It allows you to make all the tweaks, set permissions for the 2.5 standard, modify templates.. etc etc.

No one should ever be upgrading live sites, they should always have at least a development site and optionally a test site as well.

I think Fabrik will be one of the very few products that jupgrade will never be 100% with. This is simply due to the type of product Fabrik is and not a fault with either products.

The main issue arises because of the prefixes, Fabrik has to store your 'full backend table names' as it is interacting with them. If anybody has a site that is linking to any table with a prefix it's going to fail on upgrade. An example of this is the Joomla user table, Joomla 1.5 will always have this as jos_users unless it has been changed. When you migrate to 2.5 it will have a different prefix, thereby Fabrik will no longer find it.

I don't think there is anyway around this as the Fabrik doesn't know about any upgrade and simply uses it's stored information. This is why it's recommended to change your prefix before the migration and then migrate to the prefix of jos_

felix, besides the tutorial to update joomla/fabrik, maybe you or someone would make a tutorial about transferring custom templates to the new Fabrik3 model?
The template format is different as well as you have discovered but again there's not too much we can do with that. Unless people are using a completely standard J! 1.5 template which has a 2.5 version there are always going to be tweaks needed. The same works with Fabrik, I believe the way forward would be to use the default Fabrik templates to test everything works and then gradually migrate your Fabrik 2.x templates across.

I have taken the comment on board though and will include this in the documentation.

Another thing to bear in mind is that Fabrik 3.x is still at Beta stage and there are still a lot of code changes taking place. These changes are in the core and plugins. All these changes may or may not impact the Fabrik upgrade script but we can only rely on user feedback to correct where necessary. So with that said I do appreicate all the feedback so far.

Just found this extension which allows you to change you database prefix back to jos_ as required in step 11:

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/hosting-a-servers/database-management/14895

Nice find, thanks. I'll take a look at some point and recommend this as the software to use and change the docs where necessary.

I haven't done an upgrade for a little while so I need to do another test to make sure everything is still okay.

Unfortuently we will only know about upgrade problems and never the sucessful ones. :)

Hi,
I just tried to make a short conclusion.
Let's assume that I don't want to migrate whole site but only Fabrik tables and data from old site to new site.

What I did until now?

1. Installed J2.5/F3 - table prefix is jtest_ (and github updates are present)
2. Copied old jos_fabrik_xxx tables to the j2.5 database + of course also tables containing data that Fabrik works with

But now - should I remove the F3 jtest_fabrik_xxx first and then run the upgrade tool? Or leave them in place?

Unsupported operand types in /home/.../administrator/components/com_fabrik/models/upgrade.php on line 35

The code line there is
$tables = $db->loadObjectList('db_table_name') + $this->getFabrikTables();

Should the + be there or something else instead?

Sorry, last question. The params (element, list, form etc) in F3 are formatted other way that in F2. Should they be convereted as well and how?

But now - should I remove the F3 jtest_fabrik_xxx first
As far as I know:
your new site should have the same pre-fix as the old one (they may be "hardcoded" table names)
see http://fabrikar.com/wiki/index.php/3.x_Migrating_from_Joomla1.5.20%2B/Fabrik2.1

1. Change database prefix back from j25_ to jos_ (this can't be done with akeeba Admin tools (jos_ is not allowed) -- maybe possible meanwhile)
  2. Install Fabrik (latest Fabrik3 download)
  3. Remove Fabrik tables starting with jos_fabrik_xxxx
  4. Update latest github files
  5. Restore your saved jos_fabrik_xxxx tables (that you backed up earlier point (2).
  6. Run Fabrik upgrade. (Click Fabrik, Tools, Upgrade)

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back