Upgraded to 3.1 and button parameters disappeared from back-end

tenbob

Hi. Following the recommendation in the Fabrik blog I upgraded from 3.0.8 to 3.1rc1, whilst keeping the same database. I immediately noticed an odd effect with buttons.

A form that previously had two buttons, 'Save' and 'Go back', had only 'Save'. In the back-end I went to the 'Form edit' page to fix it, but I found that was messed up too. Everything on the 'Form edit' page displays normally apart from the panel labelled 'Buttons' which is completely blank. So I'm unable to change any of the button parameters.

I couldn't find what was wrong, so I deleted everything and started again from scratch with a new Joomla instance and a newly downloaded copy of Fabrik 3.1rc1. Exactly the same result. The button parameters are still missing from the 'Form edit' page. I also tried the Github version without any improvement.

If I access the Joomla database via a different server instance running my old Fabrik 3.0.8, everything is normal.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong. Could it be a template issue? I am using my original templates which are for J2.5 without bootstrap. Or could it be a change in the way that button parameters are stored in the database?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Is this with all forms or just one?
Do you have any special characters in the button labels?
English backend/frontend?

Hi troester. It's happens with every form and also if I create a new form. In every case the back-end 'Form edit' screen has a blank pane where the button parameters should be. The site is in English and has no special characters in the button text.

I have made a little progress with this. As per my OP, the pane containing the button parameters is completely blank in the 'Form edit' screen in the back-end. By a long process of elimination I have traced the problem to this file.

administrator/components/com_fabrik/models/forms/form.xml

If I use the version from Fabrik 3.1 beta everything is fine. If I use the version from 3.1 rc 1 the display is broken as described. The file seems to contain xml that describes what fields to display on the form. And certainly there are differences in the part that describes the buttons. But here my understanding runs out.

(1) Do you think this is a bug?
(2) Why am I the only person who appears to have this issue?

Using the older file is not a complete solution, as some labels are messed up on the Publishing pane. But at least it gives me a work-around.

Any thoughts?

I have the same problem. I have just set up a new site (Joomla 2.5 because Godaddy still haven't got round to upgrading MySQL) and installed Fabrik 3.1rc1. The form definitions have a completely blank "Buttons" section.

I would appreciate knowing if this is fixable or should I uninstall and go back to the older files?

Hi Richard_Lumley. So I'm not the only one with this problem. As I said above, I partly fixed it by using a file from an older release. But I now find there are more problems in the back-end. Anything that requires a pop-up has stopped working too. This occurs in the 'Edit list' screen when you try to choose what elements to use in a filter. It's not my browser blocking pop-ups, because it works with other versions. So at present I can't set up filters at all.

There also seems to be problems with missing templates. If you leave the list template at its default value, you get an HTTP 500 error (500 - Layout default_row not found). This happens when the template value says '-Use Default-' (which is not the same as when it says 'default').

As I've said before, these issues may be quite trivial to people who are very familiar with Fabrik. But they are killers for people just starting. There has to be a good out-of-the-box experience for people to keep faith in the product.

I regret installing 3.1rc1 on my live system. I'm planning to restore from backup and try again with 3.0.9. Then I will have to re-do a lot of customisation work from yesterday.

Doing any kind of major update on a live system is never a Good Thing <tm>. We've always advised people to use something like Akeeba, clone your live site to a sandbox, and test any kind of major upgrade before applying it to the live server.

For a 3.0 to 3.1 update, this is especially true, as changes in J! itself mean that we've had to move to bootstrap for templating, and while older, non-bootstrap templates should still work with Fabrik 3.1 on J! 2.5, there may well be teething trouble. You'll also need to move any pre-3.1 custom templates from the tmpl subfolder to the tmpl25 folder, in the relevant view folder.

I'm not sure why the Button section is blank for you guys though, still looking in to that.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back