SOLVED - File Upload Element - Downloads Not Working

nclaypool

I have a file upload element on one of my lists. Uploading is flawless, however, downloading has been problematic. Here's what I've learned so far.

• When you click on the link for a file, you can see the URL is formulated properly, but you're delivered to the site's home page.
  • Regardless of AJAX upload or non-AJAX the problem persists.
  • This problem extends to attachment links displayed via the content plugin
  • If I take the URL that doesn't work and simply remove the 'S' from 'HTTPS' the file downloads perfectly. So clearly this is some sort of SSL issue but can't figure out how or why.
  • I can also right-click on the file link and click Save As and it downloads fine.
Any thoughts on what is needed to fix this?

Small update. While right-clicking on the link to attachments results in a download, the downloaded file is corrupt.

To make sure this problem wasn't related to them being corrupted at upload I pulled it down via FTP and the file is perfectly fine.

I can't replicate this. Download works fine, with or without AJAX, with or without https.

Do you have a local test box (ie. a different server) you can test this on?

-- hugh

I can't replicate this. Download works fine, with or without AJAX, with or without https.

Do you have a local test box (ie. a different server) you can test this on?

-- hugh

Do you mean to make a copy of the site to a test box? Or a from scratch site and install of Fabrik?

Don't know if this is meaningful, but the option to use a Download Script or not doesn't do anything. Almost like its setting is completely ignored.
Possibly related, if I turn on "Email Files" when a record is saved, if no files are attached to the record I get the following error "Could not access file" and the email doesn't send.
However, once I attach something and save it the email sends and the attachment is present.

The email issue has been fixed since 3.4.3. And the download script option works fine for me.

I would suggest cloning your site with Akeeba and test a full update - update J! to latest, and do a full github update. See if that fixes these issues.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

My Joomla installation is latest. I performed a Github update but this broke so many things that I can't get to the point to test if it fixed the original problem.

Pagination stopped working for groups, on one list, clicking a delete record button just dropped me to the top of the page, and the AJAX attachment section doesn't even load.

You'll have to create a sandbox site we can loo at and fix those issues on, then. I can't develop on the 3.4.3 code, as there's been hundreds of code changes since then.

-- hugh

You'll have to create a sandbox site we can loo at and fix those issues on, then. I can't develop on the 3.4.3 code, as there's been hundreds of code changes since then.

-- hugh
I was a little hasty with my response. I had to clear my browser's cache then the pagination, deletion and attachment issues were resolved. Everything that was working before appears to be working now.

Okay, so I'm running the latest Github release.

First I tried turning on email files for the attachment element, then added a new record without an attachment, previously this would have resulted in an error message about the files not being found. Instead I got an error stating that it couldn't instantiate mail function. I went to Joomla's global configuration and sent a test email from there and it sent without issue.

Next I went to a previously saved record, and attempted to download the already uploaded attachment, still loads a blank page without downloading the file.

Since the Github update didn't fix it and you're unable to replicate the issue I'm talking with my hosting company to see if it could be caused by a setting on their end. I'll update as I learn more.

Wish I could see the site ...

-- hugh
You're welcome to take a look now that I've got the credentials saved under "MySites"

At the moment the hosting company believes the issue is being caused by a setting in the .htaccess file that's there to prevent hotlinking. I'm waiting on clarification from them on what needs to change to fix it.

Holy smokes! Its working. The downloads failing were a direct result of hotlink protection written into our .htaccess file. After commenting out those lines the downloads started working flawlessly. I wish I would have checked with them when this first started instead of wasting all of your time. Thank you for sticking with me.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back