phpExcel

Helg

Phil wrote it git log: "I?ll post an example of how to use it with phpExcel in the Wiki, once I see that you have committed my pull request."

Is it done? Didn't find wiki page about it.

I knew I'd be hearing that. :rolleyes:
I've been busier than a one-armed paper-hanger with the crabs. And the reason I didn't post my example right away is because I changed the code I was using and it's a bit more complex. I want to take the time to create a simpler more generic example for the Wiki. I'll try to get my Wiki promise fulfilled by the end of the weekend.

The good news is I am far more knowledgeable with using phpExcel than I was 4 years ago when I started this project - so I'll be glad to help anyone else who uses it, as time permits.

Hi Bauer, thnx for a good news!
Seems that I am only one, who read commits headers )
BTW, also I use realy cool library that called TinyButStrong http://www.tinybutstrong.com/plugins/excel/tbs_plugin_excel.htm
Did you hear about it?
It's not powerfull, but allows to save formated template from Excel and use it in export. Very usefull, when customers insists on fixed output pattern.
Nope never seen it before, Thanks. I'll have to look at that when I have more time.

But it looks like the same thing I am already doing with phpExcel - Create pre-designed templates and use them as the starting phpExcel object. For example, my project uses Excel for both surveys (which we decided to keep as individual documents, one worksheet per workbook per survey type) - and Reports. The Reports can have up to 5 worksheets and I use a pre-designed Excel file as a template for the 1st worksheet which acts as a cover page - and just fill in the appropriate cells.

Until this project I never really used Excel except to play around with it just to see how it works, as I've had MS Office since I can remember. Initially I really hated it - but it is what the client has been using for over a dozen years to distribute her surveys (via snail mail on CD until this idea came along) - so I'm stuck using it, and have accepted its many shortcomings. php Excel helps a lot but it is notoriously slow and a memory hog - so it doesn't work well with large sets of data. We had to go to a VPS server just to get the memory we needed. Though once you realize that, and start to understand how to minimize the code to conserve memory use, it isn't so bad and you can really improve the speed. If I knew 3-4 years ago what I know now, my client wouldn't need a VPS server with 4GB of RAM just for this. What I like most about phpExcel is it has a strong user base and has been around for quite a while. The documentation isn't the greatest but you can usually find out what you need to know, and some good tips or tricks, via Google and Stackoverflow.com.

Back