List filters - need Or vs And

Bren

Hello All.
I’ve got a list that has several elements with the list filters on using drop downs. This works well if only 1 filter is selected; but is a problem when more than one is selected. Each of these are month drop downs. So, if we want to see all of types for a particular month then the filters don’t work as all records get filtered away because of the “Ands” between the filters. What would make most sense in this case is for “Or” to be used between the filters. I achieve this using the advanced filter; but it’s to complicated for the end user. So, is there anyway to adjust a particular list so that there are “Or”s between the lists? Maybe using a list template and adjusting something somewhere in the template?
Thanks in advance.

With element filter type = checkbox or multiselect you'll get ORs
Yup, but that's only an OR within one filter element, not "in between" two different ones -- which seems what the OP is asking for.

However, except for perhaps the rare corner case, an OR in between filter elements doesn't make sense. Imagine you had one element for car brands, the other for colours. Now select BMW plus black. With OR you'd get all the black cars (not only BMW) plus all the silver, red and what not BMWs as well......

@Bren, if you are that infamous corner case, perhaps you can use another hidden element (calc?) where you - somehow - concatenate the other elements to make them - somehow - filterable as you require.

An other possibility to create "custom" advanced search is a search form.
You can select the data you need and add a redirect plugin with URL filtering where you can group with ORs and ANDs (or if it's very complex a php plugin)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes, this is that rare corner case. All of my other lists make sense with the “And” between the filters. I like the calc idea. I think that may work for what I’m doing. I’ll give it try.
I was initially wondering if the “And” between the filters rolled within the list template, thinking I could make a corner case adjustment via a custom list template. I figured I’d ask before digging into that.
I’ll share how it goes.
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back