Image element Root folder option missing

menno

Hey everyone

If I remember well the image plug-in had an Root folder option. It is gone.
The Wiki -> Element Plugins -> Image makes clear that at least it once was there. I've been using it. And it is really helpful in restricting users to their own folder.

What happened with this option and will it be back in the near future?
I hope so

TIA
menno

Interesting question, and one I asked Rob when that option got removed in the 2.x to 3.x migration.

Basically, we changed the image element to use the New J! 3.x Way of loading icons and other template images, which is to cycle through a pre-defined set of paths, starting with the Fabrik template folders, then any template overrides in J!, then global system paths.

Out of interest, were you using per-user folders, with something like a {$my->id} placeholder in the root path? I can't recall if the root path in 2.x supported placeholders or not.

It looks like we still have the code in the element itself to use a root folder, but the option itself is gone, and the root folder is just defaulting to the J! root, to which we are appending the prioritized list of places to look.

-- hugh

thanks for you reply, cheesegrits

yes I was using {$my->id} and it helped me to restrict the users to images in their own folder (they are automatically creating when uploading files.
So the Root folder option was quite handy.
I hope it will be back.

The way the plug-in is probably quite confusing for the users. They see a HOME // directory and when they click it they see the whole Joomla installation. Then they have to find their way to the folder where their images are. That is two or three steps while there is a risk they end up in totally wrong place. Not a very user-friendly solution
Obvious I have some security issues here, but a way to restrict them to at least - say to the images folder would be very helpful.
Is there a workaround you can think of?

TIA
menno

latest Git Joomla 2.5.7

I'll take a look at putting a configurable root directory back, as I agree that's the way it needs to work. I think what happened was that Rob was J! 2.x-ifying all of the elements in the Fabrik 3.x code in one go, from our J! 1.5 specific Fabrik 2.x, when 3.x was first being built. So he just fixed the basic New Way of having that list of locations to search through, and punted the configurable root thing to later. And because not many people use the image element, and even fewer use placeholders in a root path, and it would seem that you are the first of that few who also uses "front end folder select".

-- hugh

I've added a github issue here:

https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/issues/492

... but it's flagged for 3.0.8, as we really need to get all the 4.0.7 tickets closed and that version released, and I have to stop adding 3.0.7 tickets at some point! So only show stoppers are going in 3.0.7 for now.

Hoping to get 3.0.7 out in the next week.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back