Group Settings - "Show group"

Bauer

Can someone please explain to me what the "Show group" options in the "Layout" section of Groups settings are supposed to do?

Here is the extent of the "help" available in the Wiki...

Show group - determine if the group is visible when the form is loaded.
Yeah, well now I understand completely.:rolleyes:

But what about these FIVE options??? (value -> label)

Show group:

0 -> No
1 -> Yes
-1 -> Yes, but hidden
2 -> Detail view only
3 -> Only in form view
4 -> Hide if no usable elements

I'm fine with all but "Yes, but hidden". Huh?:confused: How about "Yes, but No"?:rolleyes:

I'm just kidding here - but really, the wording could be a bit more self-explanatory, no? What would it take to clarify this option a bit?

Something like?...

FIRST OFF, it should be explained to the user that the "Form and Detail views" being referred here (when we are working with a joined group) are the settings of the parent group!

So if the group is a joined group the heading should be
Group Elements (per parent view setting):
otherwise
Group Elements:

0 -> Hide in Form and Detail view (not submitted with form)
1 -> Show in Form and Detail view (submitted with form)
-1 -> Hide in Form and Detail view (but submitted with form)
2 -> Show in Detail view only
3 -> Show in Form view only (submitted with form)
4 -> Hide form if no usable elements

But what is REALLY needed here is a "Yes, but Detail View" (read-only) option.

Oftentimes a list is joined only to display pertinent data in a related list/table - but that table should NOT be able to be edited.

So, IMO, a 7th option is needed - i.e. ...

5 -> Always show as Detail view (not submitted with form)

Or this may be just another one of those things about Fabrik "features" that I haven't figure out yet on my own?

So, if my suggestion is not implemented, how would I set up a linked table to do this? (i.e Allow editing of a child group without Fabrik "touching" the parent group)

This has probably been the biggest thorn in my side in regards to using joined Fabrik Lists - and for the reason I just mentioned. (...and yeah my eyes hurt from all those rolls.)

I'm fine with all but "Yes, but hidden"

Hidden but can be displayed with JS.

but really, the wording could be a bit more self-explanatory, no?

Go for it

https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/bl...om_fabrik/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_fabrik.ini

FIRST OFF, it should be explained to the user that the "Form and Detail views" being referred here (when we are working with a joined group) are the settings of the parent group!

As above or you can do it here.

http://fabrikar.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Always show as Detail view

Detail view only

Yeah, "Yes, but hidden" is a little confusing! Can we agree on a short, concise wording that reflects what that means (which, as Felix says, is essentially "Hidden on form load, but can subsequently be shown through JavaScript")?

Just FYI, if you click the "help" link, top right of most backend pages, it'll take you to the Wiki page for it. Please feel free to improve the Wiki pages wherever they need it.

Felix - for the "Always show as detail view", I think what he means is an option to still show the group in form view, but in read-only format, as if it were in a detail view. Which would be a useful option.

I'm looking at the code at the moment, see what would involve.

-- hugh

@baur - OK, looks like it might not be too hard to add a "Always display as read-only" option. I've found a very simple way of handling that for the actual element display.

Now I'm looking at the group display code. And just to clarify, I would also have disable adding / removing repeats in a repeated group. Is that what you had in mind?

-- hugh

@baur - OK, looks like it might not be too hard to add a "Always display as read-only" option. I've found a very simple way of handling that for the actual element display.

Now I'm looking at the group display code. And just to clarify, I would also have disable adding / removing repeats in a repeated group. Is that what you had in mind?

-- hugh
Thanks cheesegrits! - Apparently you understood exactly what I was getting at "in my own special way".:)

My concern wasn't about repeats, just the group for a form linked to a row in a list. But while your adding enhancements, why not go for it? I'll test out whatever changes you make.

I haven't updated from GitHub in over a week. I'll wait until I see a post from you announcing you have made the change. I'm also eager to look at/test the changes to inlineedit plugin - even though I'm not going to be using it now that I found a way to do inline editing that doesn't use popups. (Maybe you'd like to think of adding TableGear as a plugin? Basically all I did to make it to work inside Joomla was to use the online Component Creator - then tweak the code to get the Joomla db authorization fields (host, dbname passwords, etc) - and use a parameter in the menu configuration that holds the name of a file that contains the other parameters TableGear uses.)

My concern wasn't about repeats, just the group for a form linked to a row in a list. But while your adding enhancements, why not go for it? I'll test out whatever changes you make.

Well, it's not so much an enhancement, just the way it would work if I went about this in the way I'm thinking about. So I wanted to make sure not being able to add or remove repeats in a 'type 5' group wasn't going trip you up.

-- hugh

Well, it's not so much an enhancement, just the way it would work if I went about this in the way I'm thinking about. So I wanted to make sure not being able to add or remove repeats in a 'type 5' group wasn't going trip you up.

-- hugh
I have yet to even use repeats. And there's not much in this project that users are permitted to add to - I'm pre-creating and filtering what they get to make it as simple as possible for the end user. They just fill in the forms/lists. My point was that I didn't want to sound selfish. You do what you gotta do.;)

i have set the gruop to "Yes, but hidden", but i didn find a way to show it using javascript, because the group is no load or hidden. do you have more info on this? can you guys give me and example?

[quote..because the group is no load or hidden...[/quote]
Im not sure what you mean here?
Otherwise it should work (I've not tested) by adding a js event to say a radio element:

using the js event drop downs you should be able to do:

on change:
show {hidden group} when this = 1

-Rob

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back