Different forms to view the same table

tenbob

Despite doing a lot of reading and experiments, I'm still having trouble understanding the basic structure and design philosophy of Fabrik. Can anyone help with a few hints, please?

My application is a database of clubs which can be represented in a single flat database table. Fortunately there is no need to link to any other tables at this stage. I started out by defining my list, which in turn creates a form and a group. I then added all the elements I needed. So far, so good.

In the application users will be working with different groups of elements at various times. So I want to define several different forms, each containing a subset of the elements. And several different lists to use as indexes into the relevant records.

So I started to create new lists all of which pointed to the original database table. Each time I created a new list it created a new form and a new group of the same name. I was surprised to find that it also duplicated all the elements and put them into the new group. So I ended up with a huge list of elements. I thought this was going to be a nightmare to manage, but I discovered that the duplicated elements all had their properties referenced back to the original ones.

I am now starting to prune the unwanted elements from each group so the lists and forms contain only the elements that are actually needed.

I can't help thinking I'm missing something or there must be an easier way. Deciding which fields to display in a list or form is a very common requirement, but I seem to be floundering. Is this the "right" approach? I can't find much help in the wiki.

So I started to create new lists all of which pointed to the original database table
This is exactly the correct way.
In the element listing your can filter on forms and groups, so it's no problem to manage the elements.

You can disable all elements you don't need (you can also trash + delete them, but make sure NOT to delete the underlying database table column); NEVER unpublish/delete the id elements.

You can edit any element ("unlink" to do so) to show/hide in form view, to set different access levels etc.

Thanks troester. I'm glad I'm on the right track. To try and generate a bit more karma I've fixed a couple of small typos and dead links in the wiki.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back