[bug] Data-merging malfunction SOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

batonac

I have two lists that are configured similarly. Both have left joins, and both are configured to "Merge Rows and Reduce Data". Strangely, the merging works in one but not in the other. Even stranger, I believe it worked at one time in both. Could one of you login to my site and check this out? The first list is called "Standards" and the second "Standards Alignment". To reproduce, filter by "BIZTECH" on both lists and compare results.

Can you check those instructions? I don't see any merging happening, and checking on the back end, you seem to have at least 'standard' set to individual rows.

Also, can you try using a normal component link, rather than embedding in an article with the plugin?

And ... filter on BIZTECH on what field?

-- hugh

Can you check those instructions?
Sorry, I was in a huge hurry when I wrote those instructions.
If you go to "Standards" and filter "Subject" using "BIZTECH", you should see many rows that are merged together under "Grade".
When you go to "Standards Alignment" and apply the same filter, you will see that the rows are not being combined under "Grade", even though they are working with similar data and settings.
I don't see any merging happening, and checking on the back end, you seem to have at least 'standard' set to individual rows.
Not sure exactly what you mean here. I have "Merge Rows and Reduce Data" set on both lists under "Display Mode". Is there another setting that I'm overlooking?
Also, can you try using a normal component link, rather than embedding in an article with the plugin?

Again not sure I understand... I didn't know I was using any plugins anywhere. The pages are setup as Fabrik list links using the normal Joomla component menu setup.

Its perhaps the fact that the list that isn't merging has 5 joins and the one that does has 1 join.
So perhaps in your list data there are other fields which are not being shown, which means that the fields in 'grade' and 'standard' can not be merged?

e.g this:

Code:
class.teacher  student.name
bob                   jane
bob                   freddy
can merge to ....
Code:
class.teacher  student.name
bob                   jane
                          freddy

But this (even if school.name is not shown in the list view) is not mergable:

Code:
class.teacher  school.name    student.name
bob                   St Marys           jane
bob                   Lode Heath      freddy

I think I understand the example above, but I don't think that any hidden fields are causing the problem. I'm finding that 'Standard' field does actually merge data on the 'Standard Alignment' page, which can be verified by filtering 'Subject' by 'ELA'. The 'Grade' field, however, never merges on that page. Is there a logical explanation for that?

well one list had 1 join and the other had about 5 if I remember correctly? The more joins you have the more difficult its going to be for the merge code to 'work out' what makes a sensible merge.
No idea about the grade vs subject thing, does grade have a link on it (that might cause it to be recognized as distinct data)

Funny thing. I just figured this out. I had added one of the fields to be merged to the 'Order by' data settings, which was keeping the merging from working. Might want to document and/or create a more robust system to check for this?

ah yes that will have that affect. I had a think about this, but I don't think we can programmatically create a universal solution that would meet everyone's requirements. So for now I'll update the merge data tip text and the wiki making a comment regarding the affect that ordering might have on this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back