Absolute Total Newbie Seeking Help - Website Design

MalNealon

Hello all and thanks for reading.

Firstly let me say that I am new both to Joomla and Fabrik.

However, having recently installed both as well as Kunena forum on my development site, I have some questions with regard to getting Fabrik up and running.

I am designing website along the lines of

driveeatsleep [dot] nl

and

beds4bikers [dot] com

1) where I would add the locations in the back-end of the site, which would present the information something along the lines of driveeatsleep [dot] nl/hotels/motorcamping-t-witveen/

2) which will allow registered members to post descriptions and accounts of their stays in motorcyclist related hotels/campings etc.,

3) Have a rating system allowing registered users to grade the locations.

4) Have a user forum for general discussion, but also have a topic thread for each location (if possible created automatically when a new location is added)

5) Offer a newsletter which would announce when a new location is added

6) perhaps offer advertising for location/motorcyclist related goods/offers

As well as much more.

Initially I would just like to have a simple website with a searchable list in order to determine whether I have the time an energy to continue or simply spend more time riding my motorcycle.

I see that Fabrik has a tutorial on creating a search form for searching within a Fabrik list. Would the best option be to allow the search of a simple list, or should I only have a single large list containing all information?

My question is really one of which method is best? I would like to offer such a web site but with several search options. I want to use a CDD to allow the user to search by country and County/Province and type, but would also like him, for example, to be able to search by name, or just type of residence. Should I create a single list of locations containing all the information regarding a location and search this, or is it better to have several lists for searching, each pointing into a master list?

When adding a new location, it would obviously be simpler to simply add to a single list, but wouldn't this create a large unworkable list?

What is the usual method of working?

Thanks

You can use your master list with advanced search turned on for a quick "one size fits all" option. Or you can create separate individual menu items (using the Fabrik list menu plugin) where the lists are pre-filtered (and include only certain columns) to your specifications.

Great, thanks.

I am assuming that I can grab parts of the master list to populate an article, still have to read up on that.

Back