2.0b SVN instructions may need improvement

solmil

Hi there.

I'm just about to embark on using 2.0b so I thought I'd upgrade to the latest SVN.

I've read

http://fabrikar.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11&Itemid=47

and would like to completely re-install Fabrik by Joomla 1.5 uninstalling the original 2.0b downloads and packaging up the SVN files as Joomla 1.5 install files and doing a new Joomla Fabrik installation.

I found the description of packaging up of the files incomplete, not understandable, and possible applying to Joomla 1.0.x (forgive me if I'm wrong!)

I've got the latest 2.0b SVN file correctly on my laptop using Tortoise and have exported the files to a folder as described in the above url.

All I need to understand is how to package these files up into Joomla 1.5 installation files.

Is it possible for some kind soul to explain how to do this?

H E L P ! ! !

Love and peace,

Sol.

If you open the folder that was created during the export you should find sub folders for administrator, components, language, modules and plugins.

Open Administrator , then inside that open components, then inside that open com_fabrik. Inside that folder you should have a whole bunch of folders and a handful of files, find fabrik.xml and cut (as in copy/paste, but cut will remove it from here when you paste it in it's new home instead of making a copy) that file. Now go back out 3 time till you are back in the original folder created by the export and looking at the administrator, components, language, modules and plugins folders again. Paste in the fabrik.xml file.

Go up one more directory so you're just seeing the folder created by the Tortoise export. Create a .zip of that entire folder, I simply right click the folder hover on winzip in the popup menu -> then choose "Add to fabrik2.0.zip" but that's because I'm on Windows XP, running Winzip and my SVN export puts everything in a folder named fabrik2.0. If any of you details are different simply adjust these instructions to accomodate the differences.

Once you have created the fabrik2.0.zip file, you're all done. Go to your Joomla! and use that file for the install.

If you run into more problems I can email a copy of the latest svn as a .zip file to you if you want to PM me your email address, as soon as we get back from dropping off the kids. I had some trouble with the SVN when I started too, so I totally empathize ;).

James and Susan

Fantastic - thanks very much

It seems to have installed successfully, so... now to work.

Really appreciated.

Do you think the database is now stable?

How close do you think this svn is to a release? Or is that an unfair question?

Once again many thanks.

Love and peace,

Sol.

I think only Rob or maybe Hugh can answer that one, I'm just an eager tester/fan of Fab 2.

That said, I have to say that Fabrik 2 has gotten hugely better in the last few weeks and Rob has been grinding out bug fixes at a pretty dang good clip. Best thing to do is to start using it and post any bugs you find so Rob (and Hugh as he gets up to speed on Fab 2) can squash 'em.

I believe the DB is pretty much in final form? At least that's what I recall seeing Rob post, and I think I've only seen one change in the SVN that related to DB structure in the last month or two.

Please do remember that it most certainly *is* still in Beta, bugs are still being found and squashed, and functionality is still being added/finished so...

On the heavily positive side, Fab 2 now appears stable enough that you can get a really good idea what it will be capable of, and you can start getting a handle on how to use it *now* so you can hit the ground running when the final release is done.

James and Susan

Re-install of 2.0b from SVN 1016

We've decided to install Fabrik 1.0.6 on our 1.5 Joomla production site, however, just before doing so, I thought I'd try and install the latest SVN to see if it has the option to clear all the 2.0b Fabrik tables. (Otherwise we should re-install Joomla)

On trying to install 1016 as per the instructions above, I get the following message from Joomla:

Your Extension appears to be written for an older version of Joomla!. You must enable the System - Legacy Plugin in the Plugin Manager if you wish to complete this task.

Any ideas why?

I copied the fabrik.xml file as described.

Love and peace,

Sol.

I don't think you can run Fab 1.06 on Joomla! 1.5. IIRC there's a fundamental incompatibility between the framework libraries, that's why Fab 2 was rewritten to use mootools. Pretty sure Rob's mentioned that a few times.

1016 sounds like Fab 1.x? Pretty sure the Fab 2 SVN isn't up nearly that high yet... Been a week or two since I've pulled down the latest though.

James and Susan

trying to install latest svn (new install)

I'm pretty sure I did this correctly.

fabrik2.zip
>administrator
>components
>modules
>plugins
config.xml

I'm getting an error trying to install to j1.6.

• There was an error uploading this file to the server.
  • Unable to find install package
Are these the correct steps to build and install zip?

If you open the folder that was created during the export you should find sub folders for administrator, components, language, modules and plugins.

Open Administrator , then inside that open components, then inside that open com_fabrik. Inside that folder you should have a whole bunch of folders and a handful of files, find fabrik.xml and cut (as in copy/paste, but cut will remove it from here when you paste it in it's new home instead of making a copy) that file. Now go back out 3 time till you are back in the original folder created by the export and looking at the administrator, components, language, modules and plugins folders again. Paste in the fabrik.xml file.

Go up one more directory so you're just seeing the folder created by the Tortoise export. Create a .zip of that entire folder, I simply right click the folder hover on winzip in the popup menu -> then choose "Add to fabrik2.0.zip" but that's because I'm on Windows XP, running Winzip and my SVN export puts everything in a folder named fabrik2.0. If any of you details are different simply adjust these instructions to accomodate the differences.

Once you have created the fabrik2.0.zip file, you're all done. Go to your Joomla! and use that file for the install.

No need to double post, we'll get to your bug report in the 2.0 Beta forum in reverse chronological order (first in, first out).

-- hugh

Hugh,

It doesn't work with the right fabrik.xml in SVN #465 and ends up with the now familliar Error level 500 instead... :confused:

RTB.

Have you looked at your server error log? Error 500 is a web server internal error, and should record the actual error in your error log. This should show you exactly what is going wrong. I would suspect either a PHP memory error or a script execution time error. Possibly an upload size violation. Those you can cure yourself by altering your PHP.ini settings.

So have a gander at your errors logs, and let me know.

-- hugh

So have a gander at your errors logs, and let me know.

-- hugh

I stopped Apache and renamed the error log and restarted it again, then immediately ran the Fabrik2 install. The attached log text file is what resulted.

This seems to be the fat lady singing -- :eek:

Code:
PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1568653 bytes) in G:\xampp\htdocs\Joomla\libraries\joomla\filesystem\archive\zip.php on line 296

So I increased the PHP.ini memory_limit to 64M - that's double what it was, restarted Apache and tried the Fabrik2 install again. Same undignified error 500 exit. Same error message in Apache's error log. Hmmm.

I wondered if it was the archiver I had used to Zip the file with. I had recently started using 7-Zip as it had helped me unarchive Joomla! zip file into a working server where WinZip had failed. So I rezipped the Fabrik2 SVN export folder, in which I had already moved the fabrik.xml file, but this time with WinZip.

Tried the Fabrik2 install again. Same undignified error 500 exit but it took a lot longer for the old girl to give it up. And this time a different error message in Apache's error log.

Code:
PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in G:\xampp\htdocs\Joomla\libraries\joomla\filesystem\archive\zip.php on line 318

Now this is odd because I remember seeing in the php.ini file...

max_execution_time = 60
max_input_time = 60

So I checked the code of the zip.php file that seemed to be causing the problem and it loaded fine and I could read it top to bottom in Dreamweaver.

Hmmm. What next? :confused:

RTB.

Follow-up to above...

Just out of curiosity, I tried to install the com_fabrik_fabrik2.0b2.zip and see what happens. Well this time, it still didn't install, and yes I got the now familiar Error 500 message, but the log reported something completely different.

See if you can make heads or tails of it...

Code:
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:16 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:16 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:16 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:16 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:28 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:28 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:28 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:28 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:55 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:55 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:55 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status
[Thu Sep 18 11:03:55 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status
[Thu Sep 18 11:05:19 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:05:19 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:05:19 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status
[Thu Sep 18 11:05:19 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status
[Thu Sep 18 11:05:21 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:05:22 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-info
[Thu Sep 18 11:05:22 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status
[Thu Sep 18 11:05:22 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: G:/xampp/htdocs/server-status

By the way, I also wondered if it was Joomla that was playing up so installed three other modules and all installed without a hitch.

My brain itches... :confused:

RTB.

Wow. I've never seen that before, at least in any kind of Fabrik context. That's Apache bitching that a client has been denied access to the server. But unless you've just upgraded Apache, I have no clue why this would suddenly start happening.

Are you positive those timestamps in the error log jive with when you were attempting to install?

Just out of interest, how is the <Directory> in your Apache main config set up? Does it look like this:

PHP:
<Directory />
            AllowOverride None
            Order Deny,Allow
            Deny from all
</Directory>

-- hugh

Just out of interest, how is the <Directory> in your Apache main config set up? Does it look like this:

PHP:
<Directory />
            AllowOverride None
            Order Deny,Allow
            Deny from all
</Directory>

-- hugh

It looks like this.

PHP:
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>

#
# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
# below.
#

#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "G:/xampp/htdocs">
    #
    # Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
    # or any combination of:
    #   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews
    #
    # Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
    # doesn't give it to you.
    #
    # The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
    # http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options
    # for more information.
    #
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI

#
    # AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
    # It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
    #   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    #
    AllowOverride All

#
    # Controls who can get stuff from this server.
    #
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

</Directory>

And no, I haven't updated or changed Apache in any way since Fabrik2 was last up and running.

In fact, I have never changed it or anything about it until I increased the memory allocation at your suggestion.

RTB.

You might want to take a look at this...

Hah!

In the end, the culprit turned out to be Zend Core v2.5.

I couldn't figure out why the timeout was exceeded at 30sec when I knew my php profile was set to 60. The only other thing I figured could be interfering was Zend, so I nuked it.

Lo and behold, my roll-your-own Fabrik2 SVN #478 Winzipper installed without a problem.

So there's another little wrinkle ironed out for me and another one for the knowledgebase. I will simply do without Zend, since I really cannot be arsed to fiddle with it. Its caused me enough grief as it is.

Your mileage may very well vary though.

RTB.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back