Where oh where is Form View settings?

Just on the off chance ... do your affectedelements have tooltips on them, and if so, are they set for side, top or bottom?

And are you using labels above or side in the form's layout settings?

-- hugh

I know I've tried both above and side for the form labels with no change. Tooltips, though--not sure--will check when I get home. I haven't explicitly set them, so I'm thinking whatever the default was. How do they factor in to this?

Sigh.

Groups. Label Position. Was off. I must have turned it off at some point, and just never hit that menu to check it last night, not thinking group-form label were related, especially since you have a setting for it the Form settings, and their specified in each element. Isn't having it in groups a little redundant?

I was going to ask "Did you set "Label position"=none in form or group settings?" yesterday but as this is NOT doing a
span display:none but div display:none I didn't.
So the code you've posted can't be from original Fabrik templates.

If you are asking for support you should really use the original code.

The group setting is not redundant, you can have multiple groups in one form and you may want them with and without label.

That's odd--I haven't knowingly changed any Fabrik templates--so not sure where or how a div is changing to a span. I'm using the standard install, nothing from github.

In Elements - Access - Details View, there's a tooltip that tells you the field can be affected by another field (Views Access level in this case). It might be good to have one for the Form label setting that mentioned this--if the Form Label view had had a tool tip that listed the possible effect of the Group Label setting (and vice-a-versa I guess) it would avoid the issue of idiot users like me turning it off when testing for something else.

I was stupid to have changed it at some point and not set it back, but in my defense the various menus have an awful habit of jumping back to the first setting tab when clicking SAVE, which, (especially to a new user testing to see what things do or desperately trying multiple things to solve a problem), can sometimes make it hard to find your way back to return a setting you just changed with no obvious ill effect to it's original state.

I was going to ask "Did you set "Label position"=none in form or group settings?" yesterday but as this is NOT doing a
span display:none but div display:none I didn't.

That's what I thought, as usually we hide labels by applying a class, not the display=none style. But it's in the default_group_labels_none.php template.

-- hugh

In Elements - Access - Details View, there's a tooltip that tells you the field can be affected by another field (Views Access level in this case). It might be good to have one for the Form label setting that mentioned this--if the Form Label view had had a tool tip that listed the possible effect of the Group Label setting (and vice-a-versa I guess) it would avoid the issue of idiot users like me turning it off when testing for something else.

I was stupid to have changed it at some point and not set it back, but in my defense the various menus have an awful habit of jumping back to the first setting tab when clicking SAVE, which, (especially to a new user testing to see what things do or desperately trying multiple things to solve a problem), can sometimes make it hard to find your way back to return a setting you just changed with no obvious ill effect to it's original state.

Yeah, we should probably note in the Form's label position tooltip that this can be overridden by the group setting. However, there is a limit to what we can do to prevent pilot error. If someone selects the option "None" for the label positions on the Layout tab for the Group settings, and the labels promptly disappear from the group's layout ... we're just doing what someone told us to. :)

However, you are correct, so I improved the tooltip.

https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/commit/f69c6c9a5d89bb852bc714b80b6a10788a6cdebe

-- hugh

PS, the issue of tab selection after saving is on J!. We just use the standard J! API's (JForms, etc) for the backend rendering. To change that behavior would mean some nasty Javascript to alter J!'s native behavior. Unless a "sticky" tab feature has crept in to the J! API which we haven't noticed, which is entirely possible.

-- hugh

I've mixed it up with div and span, sorry.

The posts before were about details view and details' default_group_labels_none.php is hiding with a div.
But yes, the code posted in #19 is from form view (which is hiding with span:confused:).

So at least no mystery where the span is coming from.

Yeah, we should probably note in the Form's label position tooltip that this can be overridden by the group setting. However, there is a limit to what we can do to prevent pilot error. If someone selects the option "None" for the label positions on the Layout tab for the Group settings, and the labels promptly disappear from the group's layout ... we're just doing what someone told us to. :)

-- hugh

Heh, yep. No argument I brought this one on myself. The tooltip looks perfect though--Thanks! While I still probably would have done the stupid thing, that would have mitigated the duration of my suffering for the stupid thing immensely. (I definitely read the current form label tool tip numerous times in my thrashing about, hoping for some hint.)

And--yeah--I figured the jump back after saving might be a Joomla thing and out of Fabrik's control. But boy do I hate it! Changing something and then having to navigate back--sometimes 2 or 3 levels (and often with a few frustrating wrong turns) -- to put it back is not only a huge time waster, it just leads to so many cases of, "uh, where was that again?" syndrome, or worse, "I saw some other shiny setting on the way back and got distracted and never changed the first one (that didn't seem to do anything anyway because I wasn't checking that particular view at the time) back" syndrome -- which is what I think probably happened to me.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back