Search form help

Spottedkennedy

ok I started again.
I am using Membership pro to deal with members, and have several custom fields.
Created a basic list.
Created 4 elements, Lastname(text entry), Company(Text entry), Location(drop down select) and Services(drop down)
In the list I created joins, joining each one to a real field in the database that holds the data I want to search on.
I found a part tut on a site that went on about creating a search form, and followed part of this.

So my form looks ok, and the fields all appear as they should do I type in the last name of a person I know to be in the DB and it yealds no results, in fact nothing I put into anything shows nothing, and the drop down I asusmed would pull the content form the actual field has nothing in it at all.

Why am I not getting results?

Don't understand. If you created a basic form with two text fields and two dropdowns, how did you create the database joins?

so, created a list.
Created 4 elements (as per the above)The form was already created when the list was done (sorry my mistake)
I went to list, data and joins as follows
Left Join | Group | Joomla Table to lookup | Element | Actual Joomla Field

I did this for all 4 elements tied to fields already with the data in on Joomla. I see sero data but the tables themselves are full of data

You can create a list and define a new database table - I assume, this is what you have done.
This table will be empty.

If you want to manage data in an already existing DB create a new list and select this table

1712700504558.png

Fabrik will then create an element for each column depending on the defaults set in Fabrik Options /Elements and in Fabrik Options/Labels.
You can adapt these elements, e.g. set a label different from the automatically created one, define the element as list filter (you want to search for) etc.

You don't need a "search form" for filtering a list.

ok I have done this as well, maybe Im not explaining right. I dont want to manipulate any existing data I merely want to search based on existing data.

I started over and did it a different way.

I created a new list and selected use existing table, and selected the subscriber table within the Joomla db that holds the relevant fileds I am building a search on
I then went into the form, plugins and added a redirect plugin (this was somehting I saw on another part of this forum on creating a search, adding index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=list&listid=3 to the plugin.

Now I go to the frnot end, and I can see the form but it now has every field in it, however ignoring this, I type in the last name of a person I know to be in the db and hit save and it simply display every single reconrd, not the one I want

Ive unpublished all the fields I dont need, looks better, but for example, I search with the name Thomas, and it returns my name at the top of the list. There shoudl be no list, and I certainly should not appear in it since my name is Kennedy :). So the search is not actually doing anything, all that happens when I hit submit it lists everything with me (for some reason) at the top. Also, the services needs to be a drop down list of services. Its actually set as check boxes on each persons profile because they get to select which services they offer, and this is what I need to search on (Thomas, CCTV for exampe should find onlky this one person)

If you don't want to manipulate set list access settings (Edit, Add, Delete to a suitable user access).
https://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/list-edit/#access-page-8203

Enable the list filters for the elements you want to search for.
https://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/elements/#list-view-settings-tab-8203

Enable the filter block in your list.
https://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/list-filters/
Ill walk through this lot this morning, thanks. I realise its probably frustrating hearing someone who knows nothing about Fabrik, so I am sorry for that. And already this is helping :)

Last edited:
nah, Im just going round in bigger circles now lol, I make one good stride forward then 3 back.
I added the filter options, and now I get error 500 on every search

Create a test list for playing around and get a feeling for how Fabrik is working:
Element types/plugins, element filter settings, list filter options etc.
Have a look at all the options and tooltips in the admin forms.

And
Fabrik is free open source, support and docu is community driven etc.
So if you find e.g. ...ooops... links please report so they can be fixed.

Create a test list for playing around and get a feeling for how Fabrik is working:
Element types/plugins, element filter settings, list filter options etc.
Have a look at all the options and tooltips in the admin forms.

And
Fabrik is free open source, support and docu is community driven etc.
So if you find e.g. ...ooops... links please report so they can be fixed.
Yeah this is kinda where I am now. having read alot of comments on how much Fabrik can do I am desperate to learn it, and waiting for my penny to drop. I have this one form I need to get working, then when I get that done I have a much larger application I want to work on that I feel Fabrik is the answer to.

Ill get their, and I will do my best to not loose my patience in the forum.

Still getting pretty much nowhere. When I create a list and select the database already in paly with the relevant table of details, the search results return with error 500

I thought the system was meant to allow me to create a new table, with 4 fields (each field being a searchable field) and join these 4 fields to the fields within the DB that contain the actual data I want to search on?
So, it seems that if I create the list one way and use joins, the form works but yields no data, if I do it another way the data appears all the time, and the form does nothing but list everything every time, and then I do it a third way, no joins, just the main db it error 500 on every press of search? one step forward 3 steps back, lol.

I will leave it for now as im just going to get wound up by it not being a little simpler to use

interestingly when I go to the back end list, and view data, the form appears, if I select from the drop down one of the services, the data displays exactly as it should below? So its only the front end thats buggered?

ok so I went to the form, and added the plugin redirect and a link to index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=list&listid=1

This now seems to sort of work. the form displays, and the search actually does work. I now have to work out what I did steps wise to make this work so I can better understand it

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back