relation between fields

cap

Hello, i have a table where i sotred barcode and name of product
Then in the "sales" table when i need to add the product i want to have a field where i insert the troduct through barcode scanning,,,and of course i want to see the name of th eproduct and not the barcode value
How do i do that?
thank you

do i have to write code? i would not go so far, need to do things which i can have some control, and i don't know coding...i though could have been much simplier to do this without the need of coding

Calc element with just a few lines of code is still the most straightforward way to do this imho.

You could try databasejoin element referring to your other table and enable ajax update, but I haven't tried this myself for this particular case. This element is not read-only by default like calc element, so you may be able to set access setting to "no one". But then it might not update anymore.

There might be some other options, but those two were the ones that came up in my mind atm.

Last edited:
i was going with the database join....but somehtin was missing
i have tried anyway, but cannot find calc...where do i find?

To be honest: if you have specific requirements, there is no other way to read some documentation (Wiki) and also have some basic kowledge of Fabrik. Also a bit of php will help. Fabrik enables you to have complex apps with minimal coding, but if a bit of coding and learning is a hell for you, I don't believe you will have success

i can learn but no coding. It happen to me that every few yeard i need to do a db with fabrik.Last time it was 3 or 4 years ago..and i could do something a little bit complex. But now i don't remeber nothing. So until i could do with the elements that fabrik offer i could learn..but learning code or php...no, i am not goin to use it for i don't know how many years again..or may be forever...
As i know i did somehting without the need of coding i was expecting to do the same now, which i have a easier project!
Eventually ..i'd rather giveup doing it!

In that case Fabrik is probably not for you. And I don't think there's any other option that allows custom database solutions without any row of code. Of course you can always hire someone to do those things for you. One doesn't have to do everything by himself, especially when it's "once in a year or two" project.

Like I said it's very unlikely there's any other option that allows custom database solutions without any row of code.

it depends on the complexity of the project you want to do. I don't know fabrik but i know IT in general and very skilled at it. I have done a lots of db using access, once fabrik and other sw without knowing code, but programming is not my main skill. Yes sometimes i end up using few lines thanks to google and forums. Then to say that learning the language is needed is another thing, though. When i do this db i do learning by doing..util i can use wizard, forms table.,..with logic and attempt i can reach what i need. But when it comes to language..either you know it or not..there is no way to use it unless someone give you some row of it. In my case i might need some, or little row of code probably, but as i said it is not worthy to study it for what is my use! :)

p.s.
database join seems that will not work as i cannot enable qrcode reading (well i need barcode though..donb't know if it is the same. But i cannot find calc element. I amreading the guide about calc, it explains how it works but not where to get it!

Last edited:
I agree it's totally up to you which approach to use depending on your skills and willingness / spare time to learn.

First check that you don't have the calc plugin already installed, but disabled in Joomla plugin list. If not, you can get calc plugin from Fabrik website: https://fabrikar.com/downloads. But I've heard there is a problem with new account registration. So if you do not have an account from earlier times, you may get stuck in here.

Alternative (recommended) is to do a full Github update:
https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
Unpack it to your Joomla folder. Then do "Discover" in Joomla and install the plugins you need. That way you'll get all the latest updates and fixes.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back