Problem with date and cascading dropdown elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbonnaire

Problem with date and cascading dropdown elements [SOLVED]

Hi all,

I have a form with a date element, a Category (field element), and a Sub-Category
(cascading dropdown element) that should be populated when choosing a Category.

There are two problems:

The first one is that the calendar icon appears with the date element, but when clicking
on the icon, the calendar does not show up.

The second problem is that when choosing a category, the cascading drop down is not
populated. I was used to Fabrik 2.1.1 where the same application was working fine.

It seems that no action is triggered when clicking on the date icon, or when choosing
the Category?!

My configuration is: Joomla 2.5.6, Fabrik 3 (latest github version), and PHP 5.3.14.

I tried to going back to the default joomla template, disabling some plugins, but nothing
solved the problem.

Any idea of what's going wrong?

Thanks for any help

Hi all,

I have a form with a date element, a Category (field element), and a Sub-Category
(cascading dropdown element) that should be populated when choosing a Category.

There are two problems:

The first one is that the calendar icon appears with the date element, but when clicking
on the icon, the calendar does not show up.

The second problem is that when choosing a category, the cascading drop down is not
populated. I was used to Fabrik 2.1.1 where the same application was working fine.

It seems that no action is triggered when clicking on the date icon, or when choosing
the Category?!

My configuration is: Joomla 2.5.6, Fabrik 3 (latest github version), and PHP 5.3.14.

I tried to going back to the default joomla template, disabling some plugins, but nothing
solved the problem.

Any idea of what's going wrong?

Thanks for any help

Hi xbonnaire,

Do you have a link to your site?

For your first problem, if the calendar isn't popping up, it is probably a JavaScript conflict issue. Can you try creating a brand new fresh site with nothing on it, and testing the calendar there? If it works fine, then it's definitely a JS conflict problem. Try a few troubleshooting techniques. Try changing templates, try disabling certain components, try disabling more Joomla plugins, not fabrik plugins, and maybe check out Firebug and see what the JS errors show up as, if there are any, and I'm assuming there is.

For your second problem, could you take a screenshot of your child element for the cascading drop down? Making sure you are using the correct values...

Github upgrade generate the problem

Hi Tessa,

I have installed a brand new site with Joomla 2.5.6 and the Fabrik 3.0.5 package (from the Fabrikar site). Then I have created a test1 list with a single date element (called mydate).

When I try to add data using the list view in the backend, everything works fine. The icon appears, and the calendar pops up.

As I need the Cascading Dropdown element (not included in the initial package), I have updated Fabrik with github (Discover new things in Extension Manager, install and Enable).

Then the same test do not work in the backend. First the "View Data" from the list view gives me a strange display (see images). Then when adding data, the date icon appears but the calendar does not pops up. I'm using the default Joomla template.

I tried to disable several Fabrik plugins without success.

Looking to the Error Console, I have several CSS warnings, and the following ones, but they also appear on the production site.

Timestamp: 07/27/2012 10:45:04 AM
Warning: Use of getAttributeNode() is deprecated. Use getAttribute() instead.
Source File: http://essai.informaticae.org/administrator/index.php?option=com_fabrik&task=list.view&listid=1
Line: 0

Warning: Use of getAttributeNode() is deprecated. Use getAttribute() instead.
Source File: http://essai.informaticae.org/admin...on=com_fabrik&task=form.view&formid=1&rowid=0
Line: 0

It's definitively the github upgrade that have generated the problem, but I cannot find why and where. Sent you the admin password by private message...

Thanks

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 477
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 529
Sent you the admin access via email. Sorry, cannot use skype from my office (blocked by routers).

Xavier

Can you update to the latest github but this time don't discover or install anything.

It's possible you may have a mismatch of files.

Tried it but without success. I have the same behavior with the date element, and with the display of the list view (in the backend). This realy seems to be a JS problem, but I don't know where and why.
No error appear in the console.

Can you find me on Skype (cheesegrits) and I'll take a look at the back end on your site. Don't forget to include an introduction when you send a contact request, so I know it's not spam.

-- hugh

Problem Solved

After chating with cheesegrits, we came to the conclusion that something
was preventing some PHP scripts to run (also some JS scripts).

The server was returning the following error (appears only when looking to the page source and trying the scripts one by one).

<!-- SHTML Wrapper - 500 Server Error -->[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Cheesegrits asked me to check the file permissions, but everything looked correct. Anyway, I looked deeper in that direction and found that my hosting provider (Justhost) only allows to run PHP/JS files with permission 644, and directories with 755.

When I first installed the Fabrik 3.x package, the files came with 644 permision, but after the update from github, they appear with 664.

So from the root directory of my site:

find ./* -type f | xargs chmod 644
find ./* -type d | xargs chmod 755

and Tadaaaaa...IT WORKS :)

It also works on my production site: Calendar pops up, and cascading dropdown is correctly populated :D

You know what ... I'm happy

Ok, not all hosting providers may have this kind of security rules, so this is surely not a general problem.

Anyway thanks a lot to cheesegrits who gave me the idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back