Minor issues with password element

jfquestiaux

I use the password element in a form with Ajax validation on and have the following usability issues:

• Although there is a built in "not empty" validation in the element itself, it is not triggered by the Ajax validation: you get only the error message when you validate the form.
  • This error message is displayed in English, despite the site frontend is in French and the text itself is not in the language file: according this one, it should be "You must enter a password" while the actual message is "Please enter a password". I looked in the code but can't find where this line is coming from.
I made a screencast to show these issues: http://screencast.com/t/SrPXRkfYk

Tested with GitHub 496.

Although there is a built in "not empty" validation in the element itself, it is not triggered by the Ajax validation: you get only the error message when you validate the form.
It was triggered, but didn't return the correct response.

I don't have the french language pack installed, but I tested with a lanaguage overide and

PLG_ELEMENT_PASSWORD_PASSWORD_CONFIRMATION_EMPTY_NOT_ALLOWED="You must enter a password"

Is used for the validation and passed through Joomla's JText, so should be translated.

After update to GitHub 504, here is the situation:

* Ajax is triggered now but only if you click in the "confirmation" field, which may be required for coding reason but I don't think reflect a user behavior: people would either ignore the field totally or click only on the "password" field, not on the two field and let them blank
* I can't check what happens if you ignore the element totally because when I validate the form with the password element left empty, I get this fatal error:

Notice: Undefined variable: view in /home/livingjfq/public_html/j3/components/com_fabrik/controllers/form.php on line 357

Fatal error: Call to a member function display() on a non-object in /home/livingjfq/public_html/j3/components/com_fabrik/controllers/form.php on line 357

Ajax is triggered now but only if you click in the "confirmation" field, which may be required for coding reason but I don't think reflect a user behavior: people would either ignore the field totally or click only on the "password" field, not on the two field and let them blank
Well if you think about it validating on the first field makes no sense at all, as it will fail every time someone starts to fill in the password. To me it makes a lot more sense (and its been this way since fabrik 2 I think) that the ajax validation occurs when you blur out of the second field. At this point the user is saying that they believe to have correctly filled in the fields and at that point and only then it makes sense to validation.

Fatal error: Call to a member function display()
Woops some regression occurred due to me refractoring some stuff. Should be fixed now

In fact for this element, there are two in-built validations:

1. A "not empty" one
  2. A check for two identical entries (password and confirmation)
For the second, I agree it has to run when people blur out the confirmation field, but for the first one, it should run on the "password" field, not on the "confirmation" one since people have to enter a password.

I never noticed it before because I usually don't use Ajax validations.

true, unfortunately there's no mechanism in fabrik to say if bluring out of this elements particular sub field perform this particular validation, otherwise perform this validation

For now its a minor issue so I won't spend the time to try to fix - perhaps later on :)

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back