Lists - rows per page setting ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisyork

Hi,

I'm struggling with getting the settings in the admin end to be followed in the front end! Whenever I change 'rows per page' for a list (e.g. to 50) the list view stubbornly remains at 10 next time I load the same page. Am I missing something? This is something really simple that has me banging my head, so I think I've got it wrong - I've tried this on different lists within the same database connection.

I have even tried changing the default Joomla list length but this doesn't affect it.

The reason this is a issue is that when I group the records it does something counter-intuitive (for me!)...

I would expect the records to be grouped, then ordered - so if there are records with values of, say, A or B, and a date value I thought they should have all the A's together (which are then ordered by date)...

However what I appear to have is date ordered records which are then grouped on the current view. This shows my records as having 4A's and 6B's for the first 10 records, then 1A and 9B's for the next 10 (and so on). So a user seeing the grouped records in the first 10 displayed would think there are only 4A's, when there are at least 5... (the 5th just happens not to be displayed because the daft administrator can't get the list view to show enough records in the first place!). Am I making sense yet? I can override that, by ordering on the same element as grouping, then a second ordering by the date, but that seems clumsy (and I've only just thought about doing that, and it works!).

If you access your list from a menu item (and you probably do), it is in the options of the menu item that you have to set this parameter as it overrides the list setting and the default value is 10 (it overrides also any template setting).

Doh! I knew it was something simple, I just couldn't work out where the override was.

Thanks very much for preventing further damage to my head or the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back