• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

fabrik deactivated at JED

As far as I know it's because Fabrik has some files (e.g. for PDF generation, which Joomla stopped supporting long time ago) in Joomla core folders.
They changed their policy and don't allow this any longer.

If this is the case, there is undoubtedly a reason for it - IMO likely to be down to potential security issues, though I haven't researched this.

This seems to me to be a reflection on the level of support that Fabrik now has - it is almost certainly possible for Fabrik to relocate those files somewhere that meets policy, but neither being removed from JED nor any potential security issues seem to be sufficient motivation to fix this, or at least not yet.

Sorry but, frankly, I don't understand... why is it an "issue" if Fabrik (or any other extension, for that matter) is not in the JED? Nothing in Fabrik has become worse since... if anything, then only better.
There are tons of rock-old, unmaintained, by now sometimes incompatible extensions in JED, and no one seems to bother while, at least IMO, that's really bad.

On Joomla, Fabrik is delisted and categorized as "under investigation". Seems like poor optics if nothing else, and makes an uphill battle for attracting new users. Mine is a real world example. There must be others not discovering it or deciding not to use it because of this. And even if it's only a bureaucratic mixup, should I reallly be choosing a tool that seems content to be shooting itself in the foot?

AFAIK, and like troester said here above: http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/fabrik-un-published-in-the-jed.51805/#post-271759

It's really up to everyone individually what to make of it.

The real uphill battle is for Fabrik devs to make ends meet with a very mighty but 100% free-of-charge extension while too often users seem to expect support just as for a premium app, including custom code for their very specific project. Like explained and discussed elsewhere here in the forum.

Again IMO (!): what Fabrik deserves and needs more of is trust and active, quality community support instead of distrust, unrealistic expectations, or (self-declared or real) MBAs. That would make it an even more powerful tool than it already is.

No offence, and just by the way: which other tool does what Fabrik can do? Where to go, in JED or elsewhere? You can tell, I for my part and many others are happy here and, while the JED is generally a good thing (which used to be even better), I don't mind if Fabrik is in it or not. ;)

I agree with much of what you're saying. Fabrik is my favourite part of joomla. It's functionality that seems like good base functionality for joomla, to me. But at the same time, completely regardless of technical quality, if a client or a competitor can point to this delisting and say "hey, why are you using technologies that a google search can reveal as suspect?", I've now got a credibility issue. Regardless of whether Fabrik was in any way involved in the problem, being delisted generates noise. It's probably a non-issue, but it sure can make it's users look bad.

Well - it is now at least 5 months since Joomla was de-listed from JED - and as yet, we have not had an explanation or comment from Media A-Team, nor as far as anyone can see has Media A-Team done anything to try to get Fabrik re-listed.

So we have no definitive explanation as to why it was delisted, and if it was for security reasons just what the risks are for sites that use Joomla. Nor do we have any reassurance from Media A-Team about the long term future of Fabrik, just an appearance that support is now pretty non-existent.

Is this the first (or possibly the last) nail in the coffin? Or will Media A-Team step up to the plate and fix whatever needs fixing to get Fabrik re-listed, and reassure users that their Fabrik based sites have a future?

Well - it is now at least 13 months since Joomla was de-listed from JED - and as yet, we have not had an explanation or comment from Media A-Team, nor as far as anyone can see has Media A-Team done anything to try to get Fabrik re-listed.

So we have no definitive explanation as to why it was delisted, and if it was for security reasons just what the risks are for sites that use Joomla. Nor do we have any reassurance from Media A-Team about the long term future of Fabrik, just an appearance that support is now pretty non-existent.

Is this the first (or possibly the last) nail in the coffin? Or will Media A-Team step up to the plate and fix whatever needs fixing to get Fabrik re-listed, and reassure users that their Fabrik based sites have a future?

Everything looks very sad.
It seems to me that the perfect instrument for me is slowly but surely coming to an end.
How hard it is for me to say that.
I will continue to use it with Joomla 3, as long as it works for me.

I'm trying to think there's still hope as Fabrik is still actively maintained and Media A-Team has it's own customers who need it. And what they have said, they are actively developing Fabrik 4, so I think everything is not gone yet :). And the community support is also pretty solid.

Fabrik 4 is developing last 1 year and more, i think.
The business model is totally wrong. Rather, I think there seems to be none.
In my opinion, they do not care at all about the users of the component, but they are completely focused on their personal customers and they do not need any crumbs from us.

Well - it is now at least 13 months since Joomla was de-listed from JED - and as yet, we have not had an explanation or comment from Media A-Team, nor as far as anyone can see has Media A-Team done anything to try to get Fabrik re-listed.

So we have no definitive explanation as to why it was delisted, and if it was for security reasons just what the risks are for sites that use Joomla.
Not true. See https://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/fabrik-jed-status.52210/

Nor do we have any reassurance from Media A-Team about the long term future of Fabrik...
Not true. See https://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/fabrik-4-joomla-4-plans.52211/

... just an appearance that support is now pretty non-existent.
I'm with @juuser on this one here, thanks to @troester, @juuser, some others and efforts in a smaller group elsewhere.

In my opinion, they do not care at all about the users of the component, but they are completely focused on their personal customers and they do not need any crumbs from us.
To quote you further up in this same thread:
Trust on Fabrik developers and use the extension.
Sure, views can change. But general statements like your most recent one neither have a base, nor do they help anyone, users or devs.
Fabrik is an extension 100% free for anyone. So, what do you expect devs are making a living from? If development is continuing (and it is: simply refer to Github), then thanks to paying clients of Media A-Team. In fact, you are directly benefitting from those paying clients. If anything, we should send more paying clients to Media A-Team instead of being freeloaders expecting everything top-notch and free of charge, including round-the-hour pro "support".
("Support" in quotes because 90+% is about custom solutions, code and syntax errors -- instead of extension support.)

Peace, love and understanding. But get real, people, and think twice about what you're asking for vs. what you're giving.

Obviously it's not a top priority for Media A-Team. And as it seems to require a lot more work than just a few clicks, it might not happen soon which is actually quite sad as JED is the main place where new users would come from.

Last edited:
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back