create a list in the front-end?

depauw

Hello,

In our team, we make a lot of lists for al kind of bookings. Now we do this on paper, but we like to digitalise everything.
- We make a list per product
- Every list has the same fields: date, name, email, phone, remarks and status

Now, I'm not always around to create the needed lists in het backend. So I was wondering: does there exist some kind of function to create a list (with its form) from the frontend, with a certain layout and fields, where you only have to give the list a title (that would be the name of the product for us)?

kind regards,
Christophe

As far as I know, there is no built-in function to do that, but the way I would do it is to write a PHP form plugin that does the whole thing.
If the forms have always the same element, it would not be very hard.
But you would still need to get to the back end to create a menu link to the form (or list) created.

Hey guys,

thanks for the suggestions!
Since I have absolute nog knowlegde of php, I'm afraid that the solution of jfquestiaux is not possible for me.
I'm not quit sure what you mean with your suggestion, felixkat.

Thinking of this I came up with another concept.
I make a list and form where the first field is the productfield. It's a dropdown with the function for users to add new products.
They fill in the form and the data goes into the list.
Then, the users can filter on the product to get the appropriate list.

this solution leaves me with 2 challenges to solve:
1. I'd like to give every booking a number. So i need an auto-incrementing number, that start with 1 for every product. this means i can not use the row-id. Is this do-able and how do jou do it?
2. once the number of booking is rising, filtering may become inefficient.... Prefiltering would be better! but can this be done from the front end? a kind of dynamic prefiltering where the user has the possibility to select the product in a dropdown and then a prefiltered list is diplayed. Again, do-able and how?

many thanks for the suggestions!!

Christophe

Sorry I should have been more clear with my previous answer. Effectively what I was suggesting is your new concept.

Thinking of this I came up with another concept.
I make a list and form where the first field is the productfield. It's a dropdown with the function for users to add new products.
They fill in the form and the data goes into the list.
Then, the users can filter on the product to get the appropriate list.

It wasn't clear why you needed separate lists which are basically the same apart from Product. In my mind it made sense to have just one list using a dropdown or database join element for product. However there may have been a specific reason why you were not doing it this way.

With regards to your new challenges:-

1) Is there a specific reason why each product needs an incremental booking number? Doing it this way means that the reference and produce would need to be known for each record. Whereas one incremental means it will always be unique regardless of the product. Again maybe I don't understand why would would prefer to do it this way.

2) Pre-filtering can be done in different ways, you could have menu entries for each product, if you don't have many products. However having a list with a filter on it isn't going to be inefficient unless you are talking millions of records.

Hello,

i have some answers to understand where i'm going to....

1. If possible, we'd like every list to start by 1. That reflects in a way your position on the bookinglist. If we give a client a number 1536, w'll have some explaining to do (are there 1535 client waiting before me) :) is this do-able en how do you do this?

2. i was thinking that is would be easier to already pre-filter on the product, so then you have enough filterposibilities to filter on date, status, and so on. I want to create something that needs almost no work in the backend, because i'm not always around. That's why i thought of some kind of 'dynamic' prefilter, where you can select a product and the prefiltered list is shown. Is this do-able and how?

many thanks in advance!!

Christophe

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back