Auto-increment or auto-populate

darkroast

Here's my scenario...

I'm creating a case log table: one record per case. Each case will have one or more calls associated with it.

What I'd like to do is have a button at the top of the form (or some other way) where I can choose "New Case" or "Existing Case". If you choose the New Case option, it will save the case record with an auto-generated sequential case number. However, if you choose the Existing Case option, it will bring up a box where you can enter / select the case number, and that will then lookup all the previous call records, and add a new one (for the current call) if you save the call record.

So, here's the question: how would I accomplish the "new case" versus "existing case" logic so that it either creates the new case number or gives you the lookup?

Is this possible at all?

In the "calls" form/list add a databasejoin element pointing to the "case" table, enable "Add option in frontend" and may be "Frontend select"

OK, that's helpful. Now, a question: the case number field (the one I created as above) is linked to the ID field of the case log table. If I save it with a blank entry, will that case number be auto-incremented?

Basically, I want to (a) use an auto-incremented case number if it's a new case, or be able to call up the case if it's an existing case. This will definitely do the second, but will it also handle the first?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back