Simple Question

bascherz

I am trying to define a self-populating element that simply looks-up its value from another database table. Pretty simple. There's a table that contains records with zip codes (zip) and states (st) among other elements. I want to retrieve "st" by querying the zipcodes table and there's an element in the same list called "zip". So here's what I thought would work.

This element query is part of the list "love_region_names". The result of this must be the state (st) element value from the table "love_zipcodes".

Code:
// Get the zipcode from THE CURRENT RECORD
$zip = (int)'{love_region_names___zip}';

// Go get the corresponding state (two-letter ST abbreviation)
$db = JFactory::getDbo();
$db->setQuery("SELECT st FROM #__zipcodes WHERE zip=$zip");
$ST = $db->loadResult();
return $ST;

This should be trivial, but I cannot find any documentation showing how to do it with Fabrik. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,
Bruce

I finally did get this to work using a "display" field. The query is exactly what you'd expect, but this is the first time I've gotten the {table___element} reference to work. Can't believe it was that easy all that time.

I finally did get this to work using a "display" field. The query is exactly what you'd expect, but this is the first time I've gotten the {table___element} reference to work. Can't believe it was that easy all that time.
How did you use the Display Field? Can you share your solution?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back