InlineEdit with Autocomplete dbjoin has a space character

Status
Not open for further replies.

rackem

I am using the InlineEdit List plugin to enter data into an autocomplete dbjoin element. For some reason however, there are times when a space is in the field so it screws up the autocomplete (it shows "No records")

So for example I type in "bon" and it shows "No records" when I know there are records. I took a look in Firebug to see what it sent for a query and it was "bon%20 ". Sure enough, when I go in the field, I can shift my cursor over and see there is a space character in their that I did not enter.

I hope that describes the issue clearly. Can anyone else duplicate this?

nope can't duplicate, can you ensure the site is using the latest code from github and then let me know the page url?

I just updated, cleared cache, etc. The issue is still present.

Here is my page: http://www.mypoolstats.com/admin/fargo-import-names
You will need to log in with the front end login that I have in MySites.
The field is "Player"
Feel free to edit fields as needed, this list is just used an intermediary Admin viewing and edit before getting transferred to other parts of the site.

Hi
Still couldn't replicate it on your site either, I did pickup one bug which I've tried to work round (changed in github https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/commit/799bb5275a3df8324b4ad4cf6f1434153728ac74) but that was triggered with this set of actions:

open inline edit
Type some text into the field
press enter
-> issue was that the first highlighted option was not selected and the spinner not hidden.

However I don't think this relates to what you are seeing. Is there a specific browser you are using?

Hmm, I am using the current Firefox primarily but can duplicate in IE and Chrome as well. I just updated from GitHub and the issue remains.

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly, here is a Jing video that illustrates the issue: http://screencast.com/t/8yEsgPhSAl2M

First of all, I just highlight the space character to illustrate its presence. The problem, as I show next, is that if you just start typing, the search will return no records. Once you manually delete the space character, the autocomplete works properly.

hi - well is it not the case that that record is saved with a name " " ? That's the first thing that springs to mind.

No, actually the data in this column is NULL. Basically, my workflow is to import a list of names (1st column). I then use the InlineEdit to manually enter the matching site's players (2nd column) via the autocomplete.

What seems to be going on here is that my Concat label setting in my dbjoin is set to "first_name, ' ', last_name". Note the space, if I change this to a comma, then sure enough a comma is shown even when no record is selected.

I assumed that if no record is selected, the label should be empty. However that is not the case. Is that intended behavior?

Really not sure what I can do about this. If the data is NULL then the concat label is ' '.
If I edit the record via the in-line edit then the ' ' is highlighted, so as soon as a start typing then the autocomplete works, (as the ' ' is replaced with what I type)

If I edit the record via the in-line edit then the ' ' is highlighted, so as soon as a start typing then the autocomplete works, (as the ' ' is replaced with what I type)
Hmm, I would have no complaint with that behavior but I don't see that in Firefox. Just tried in Chrome though and it does as you say.

*friendly bump*

Just curious if it is possible to perform a check before displaying the dbjoin label. So if there is no value selected, then the label is blank. If there is a value selected, then the Concat setting is applied.

*friendly bump* on question in last post.

Not to be a pest, if nothing can be done, I will live with the functionality.

OK its your concat string which is always adding in spaces regardless of if the name exists.

Code:
first_plus_nickname, ' ',  last_name, ' ', sex

So I replaced it with this:

Code:
IF(first_plus_nickname <> '', CONCAT(first_plus_nickname, ' '), ''), IF(last_name <> '', CONCAT(last_name, ' '), ''), sex

Nice! :) Thank you very much Rob. I had no idea that sort of coding was possible in this field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back